Still no pics from Grampy, and now there's no camera in the house.
Just got back yesterday from 2nd/3rd grade camp-Jake was the actual camper and Torrey and I were sponsors. Well, Torrey was a sponsor helper, which meant she ran little errands for the adults and then during big group worship she was a dancer/motions leader. I was in charge of the music and led all the singing.
and I was the "wake up call" mega-phone lady
and the "scream-announcements-over-the-camp-p.a." lady
and the "hey kid, come up and I'll have you do some really stupid stuff in front of everyone at lunch so you can get your mail" lady
We had about 30 kids who were 7 and 8 years old, which means a lot of potty breaks, some bedtime tears and lots of giggling and unclaimed farts. By the way, the BE A DORCAS theme was a huge hit.
And now today at noon, Torrey went up to be a real camper and Brian is a sponsor. It will feel quite different than Jake's camp, because there will be 110 5-8th graders. They have B.O. issues, friendship tears, guy/girl awareness and self-image issues. They don't do crazy mail-call, but they will go whitewater rafting. They won't play "find the hidden sponsors" in the daylight, they'll play capture the flag in the dark. They don't have their music on a CD track, they get a real live band.
And their bedtime won't be 8:30.
Torrey was really looking forward to it-I can't wait to hear how it goes. Brian went up as a sponsor and also the camp photographer, so expect some awesome pics after they get back Sunday night...
6 comments:
Wow...I think I would like to attend that camp! What cool memories for the kids.
That sounds so fun! I'm glad your camp went well & I'm excited to hear how the next one goes...
It brings me back to Highlands when you were MY camp counselor- kindof...
Torrey is going to have a blast!
People remember the video Chaos mom posted a few days ago? Can't you just see her at camp?
Did your little camper mind that his mom was the loud obnoxious lady or did you make him proud?
I can picture it all. Those poor kids never stood a chance. Take care!
I'm not sure which I would like less...being the crazy megaphone lady, singing in front of lots of people (albeit children), or being the camp counselor. Maybe you can come here when it's time for my kids to go to camp.
Post a Comment