Tuesday, January 12, 2010

2010

Christmas is done, so off we go!

The big goal this month is to get back on track with our eating/exercise. After watching a couple of "Biggest Loser" specials, motivation kicks in. Jillian's 30-day shred has been an almost daily routine (thanks for lending it to me KT!) and eating better is accomplished by basically one rule:

You won't eat it if it's not in the house

You should see my pantry. It's bare. No chips, chocolate chips, crackers, etc. The only snack in there is granola bars for school lunches. Dessert is MAYBE once a week.

We're also trying to be aware of what our normal habits were to see what needs to be adjusted. This morning Brian measured how many spoonfuls of creamer he put into his coffee. Usually it's a quick pour from the container until his coffee turns the right shade of WHITE. Wow. he poured in 7 tablespoons of creamer!! Calories? 3 hundy.

I made a batch of popcorn last night, you know, the yummy stuff on the stove with olive oil. When I measured the olive oil it took 6 tablespoons. Translation:

84 GRAMS OF FAT

B and I typically split a batch of pop-c and eat the whole thing. Excellent. I pound 42 grams of fat whenever I watch Survivor....or L O S T.....or t.v.

Last night we had baked salmon for dinner and my usual sides include salad and something like brown rice or couscous. When I checked the calories for the rice and couscous, it was close to 200 for a serving (and I use the term "serving" very loosely. For real...who eats only a 1/4 cup of rice??) It's easy to get 600 calories just from the SIDES!

So we just had salmon and salad, but no one complained!

Simply being aware may be an easy beginning to cutting back. Can Brian stand to have his coffee less "creamer-y"? Hope so. Can I have 1 small bowlful of popcorn and put the rest in kids' lunches? Well I am NOW! Sheesh! I had no idea...

It's exciting to think that some small changes can make a big difference over time!

3 comments:

Sally said...

Hey like the new blog look and the new plan!!

We really have no idea what we eat or how we spend our time and our $ until we track it. Pretty revealing.

Read a quote recently "What you spend your time on and how you spend your money will tell you what you worship"

Hilary said...

Love the cute picture!! I realize Brian isn't in it, but it WOULD HAVE been a cute Christmas card. Missed getting one from you guys this year! : )

I'm not the person to talk to on eating healthy. Exercise I can handle, but eating right....so hard for us! I'd probably be 20 pounds lighter if I'd just eat right. Ugh...such a mind game, but I try!

Vivi said...

Love the pic!

Good luck with the eating "stuff!" It's a lot of work to pay attention to what we're actually eating, but I think it pays off!