Thursday, July 29, 2010

APRICOTS!

It's harvestime people! Our trees have exploded this year for the first time and we're having fun with it!

Other people have noticed our "good fortune" too. A neighbor stopped by the other day and said "I notice you have some fruit on your trees. Mind if I have some?" One of our trees hangs over the sidewalk, so thinking he was on a walk and would like to pick himself a little snack, I said "sure! Help yourself!"

The dude came back with his wife, a 10 foot ladder, tons of Safeway bags and a bucket to hang on his belt. THEY WENT TO TOWN. Like a buzzsaw, they completely stripped the tree clean on the street side. The wife rang my doorbell and said "it's ok if we access the backyard?" I said "no, no, please don't go into the yard". "Oh.... no? Really? ok....."

What the crap people? You were going to take the entire tree? There are 2 more trees in the back that can't be seen from the street. They would have peed themselves if they'd seen them!

They were nice enough to bring a jar of jam and a jar of preserves OF MY OWN APRICOTS. So nice.

Meanwhile, we've enjoyed trying lots of different recipes:

Apricot pie





The stolen jam and preserves







Apricot crisp




The nut
Found out it can have cancer-fighting qualities!
Tastes a little like an almond






Apricot cobbler


not pictured:

*Apricot Chicken
*Dehydrated Apricots
*Apricot Milkshakes-tastes like the Chick-Fil-A peach ones!!
*Apricot smoothies
*Apricot Salsa



Of course we've eaten TONS just raw, right off the tree. We're getting to the end, but I think we've picked close to 800 per tree!

2 comments:

Vivi said...

Oh, I'm jealous of all of that fruit! Funny that "help yourself" meant "pick us clean." That takes some nerve!

Hilary said...

How fun for the kids to watch it all over the course of time. Way to go, Ma Ingalls!