Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Be a Dorcas

I had a camp planning meeting today for the 2nd-3rd grade camp that I will be leading worship at. We came up with the story of Dorcas. I know, I hadn't heard of her either, but she's in there, in Acts 9:32-42. It's a teeny tiny story about a lady who made clothes. Pretty boring huh? Turns out she died and everyone was devastated because she had done such good things for people. She had left such an incredible impression on those around her that her friends traveled to find Peter, who had been given the gift of performing miracles. The friends begged Peter to come and when he arrived and found everyone in mourning, he kicked them all out of the room, prayed over Dorcas and she came back to life.
Our camp theme is going to be "Be a Dorcas". Not only will the kids think it's a funny slogan, but they'll forever remember this obscure little seamstress in the bible who left such a legacy of doing good for others they will want to mimic her. Hopefully. Maybe not the seamstress part.

3 comments:

petiteblogger said...

I think that's a great idea. Of course, I know about Dorcas because she was the prettiest girl in "7 Brides for 7 Brothers." I always thought it was a weird name though & it's nice to know she's getting some face time!

Sally said...

Dorky can be fun...and I'm sure it will be

Hilary said...

I've never heard of Dorcas before, but now, I'm certain never to forget her! I bet the kids will love it.

Glad to see you and Brian both posted recently! : )