Yesterday was the first swim meet of the summer season. The kids and I were at the pool by 7:05 a.m. and as I wore a sweatshirt, they had to jump in for warm-up laps. It was pretty quiet that early in the morning, but there were still about 300 people there. All of a sudden, I heard
"Mom! Mom! The water's warm!" thanks for the pool temp check Jake.
Shortly after our team finished warm-ups, I glanced over at Jake who was wrapped in a towel and talking with a friend near the edge of the water. I looked away for a millisecond and when I turned back around, Jake was in the water, with his towel, and shrieking. Like he was hurt.
I hurried onto the pool deck to see what had happened and he said he was dipping his foot in to see if the water was cold (we'd already established this, remember?) and he slipped. When he slipped, he said he hit his "tenders" (thanks Kung Fu Panda for the new vocab word) and then hit his head. Oh, and now 1/3 of the number of towels I brought for him were saturated.
Ugh, the meet doesn't start for another 20 minutes...
The kids have their event numbers written in Sharpie on their arms...
Let's talk about Torrey. The girl likes to swim. The girl is good at it. The girl has a competitive 'tude in her that she didn't inherit from me.
I'll admit something terrible-I lied about her age when I signed her up for this swim season. She was a tiny bit frustrated last year because she'd always end up riding other kids' bumpers in practice and couldn't pass them. (ok, so she gets that from her mother)
This summer, Torrey is "swimming up" I think it's called. That means as a ten year old, she's racing against 12 year olds. It also means that her anxiety levels were through the roof and as she stood on the blocks for her first race getting ready for the whistle, I thought she just might barf in the pool.
(not really)



She didn't barf, she came in 3rd out of 6. In Butterfly. (You know, the stroke that looks like people are totally drowning. It's completely exhausting.) She was a tad excited. Her next race was a relay medley and she had to swim fly again. They came in 2nd. After that she had a solo 1st place for freestyle and 1st for backstroke.
Jake had a good meet too. He got first in backstroke and did great in his other races too!
I bought the kids a bucket of twizzlers from Costco. Way to go!!
I like the pic of the pep talk I'm having through the fence with Jake...
5 comments:
The kids do that well and all they get is a bucket of Twizzlers?? Sheesh...my kids would have gotten Ho Hos for a month!!
How exciting for all of you!
Way to go Jake and Torrey!
Ben is really getting interested in joining a swim team. His swimming lessons instructor has mentioned that he's got some natural talent. Maybe it runs in the family??
I showed Ben the blog, and he said, "Wow! Torrey and Jake are GOOD!" Ben
Way to go, Torrey and Jake! I wish we were closer so we could watch your meets!
Banany is a good swimmer too...how did all these grandkids get to be such fish?!?!?
I'll have Jason add "tenders" to his loooooooong list of nicknames for those....uh, parts. Yes, mature, I know.
WOW good for them. There is definitely some swimming genes in the family...think Kirra and Torrey K. Oh not to mention Uncle Luke and his famous swimming adventures in the fire academy
Great job T and J! We'd love to see a meet sometime soon.
Post a Comment